Thursday 18 October 2007

Unveiling of BabyEbi's room

Finally, we have finished! (I tell a small lie, I haven't done theinside of the closet yet...)
When I was thinking of how to do his room, I wanted something
fun, somewhere to play, sleep and relax. Somewhere that would stretch his imagination but would also be his special place, I also wanted a theme which started out as jungle and ended up "under the sea" partly because he loves fish and penguins and partly because there were so many cute fishy things available. However we did the room it needed to grow with him, so nothing too permanent.

So here we are... (click on the picture to make it bigger)
View from the door
We wanted a custom made bed but couldn't afford it, so this is an Ikea one, Mr Ebi built a rail for the top to make it safer but then forgot that his son wasn't teenage size and could fall through the gap in the posts! So we added the net, which looks loose but is well fixed and has the added touch of looking like fishing net.



The view of the balcony and fukinuke windows
Just love that anchor! The pictures are giant wall stickers the advantage of these is that thy can be peeled off and moved or just taken off for good when he has grown out of fish. initially I was going to paint the walls but ran into no end of problems so opted for the sticker for an easy life.
I rather unconventionally put the thick curtains behind the net ones since the nets are cute and the regular curtains are just plain blue blackout one, so the room still looks good when the curtains are closed.



This is taken inside the bed
The shelves also act as steps (also Ikea but they were out of actual shelves so the rest of books are still waiting to go in) the draws have all his wooden train set pieces, he can take them out by himself but needs a bit of help getting them back in.



This is the other end of the bed, there was a gap between the wall and the bed so we used some Ikea Stripa shelves to fill the gap and make little shelves for his special things. The wallpaper on these walls is really lovely, they are like little bubbles, some a silver the others shades of blue.



View from the bed looking into the room, wavy mirrors, how cool are they?


The bed, I made the curtain it is attched using velcro so I can take it off when he goes to bed. It was inspired by Hoorah for Fish by Lucy Cousins - one of BabyEbi's favourite books, he picked out "grumpy fish" and "little fish" to go on it, the rest were made up as I went along. I did intend to sew 'spikes' to the yellow coral but just haven't got round to it, one day....



Somewhere to hide or read



He actually loves climbing onto the top of the bed and watching what is going on out of the round window, it has been quite exciting this week because there have been diggers, big drilling machines and cement mixers!
We had the light switch put lower in his room so he can already turn it off and on and there are two wall lamps, a seahorse and seashell that he can do himself too. I wanted all his things to be low down so that he can reach them himself, hence the shelves/steps, this is why the closet is taking me some time to organise. I want him to be able to choose which clothes to wear plus be able to reach the toys he wants to play with. I decided that his Montessori equipment would mostly be in the spare room which opens up into his room and I have set up a small practical life shelf in the kitchen, I will be able to expand that once we can get into the pantry.

So, BabyEbi is a big boy now and sleeps in his own room, we had a few tears the first couple of nights but now he loves it.

10 comments:

  1. How cooooool. Where are the nightlights from?? And sleeping by himself? Unbelieveable. Can I send my two over to spend the night??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, only if you send your hubby with them too so I can go out for the night :o)
    Nightlights are Ikea wall lights, from the kids department so they are tamper-proof and don't get hot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! I love it. That is one awesome room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous!! What a great room! I love the way he can peek out the window at the top. You did a fantastic job! How's the rest of the house coming along?
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! The funny thing is we have the same bed & hanging net. I've been wanting to stop by and get the step shelving and they've been out of the little chair every time I'm there. Instead of an ocean theme we've done a sky one with glow in the dark star stickers on the ceiling with painted clouds, the star & moon sconces as well as the star canapy for the bed. I didn't take that extra step of the curtain - which looks phenominal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you stain the wood on the trofast unit? It looks a little different... I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. no, we didn't stain anything, maybe it's the lighting that make it look different.
    I am happy to say that a year on the whole system works great and my son loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We also use the trofast as steps to the kura...but I have them actually covering the ladder. They run up the wall and end at the opening...but I like how yours makes a shelf under. We currently use the bottom as a crib for little brother. Maybe will go your way when he is a bit older so he can have his own shelf in his bed.

    You can see mine here
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/25090861@N03/sets/72157623504561320/

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fabulous! WOW! I just bought a Kura bed and I love the idea of the trofast shelfs and little shelves underneath! Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I should add that we use a Japanese futon under the bed which is where he sleeps and the futon gets aired on the balcony on a regular basis. Having a mattress on the floor that doesn't get aired isn't a very healthy option.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!
I love hearing from you and if you haven't joined us in Moms That Rock, come on over!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/momsthatrock/

Pin It button on image hover