Saturday 5 November 2011

Sticky Meyer Lemon Cake

Daddy-ebi isn't one for overly sweet western style cakes so I thought I'd try something a bit more tart this time for his birthday and this sticky lemon cake was perfect and it is REALLY easy to make. Ebi-kun could make this by himself next time except for the putting it in and out of the hot oven. We have also had meyer lemons at the supermarket recently so I thought I would try those, they were perfect!


Put all of the following ingredients into a big bowl and mix until combined.

180g plain flour
180g sugar
150ml milk
100g butter
1tsp baking powder
2 eggs
zest of a lemon
pinch of salt.

Dump it in a pan, I used a loaf tin and bake at 170deg C for 50 minutes (stick a skewer in and check that it comes out clean)

Leave it in the tin to cool. Whilst it is cooling put....
6 tbsp icing sugar
juice and zest of 2 lemons (I used the juice from the lemon used in the cake and another lemon)

in a saucepan and bring to the boil, let it boil for a couple of minutes until it makes an nice sticky syrup, keep stirring as it boils. Then pour the sauce over the cake whilst it is in the tin and leave until it has completely cooled. The syrup will soak into the cake and make a lovely sticky coating.

The cake on it's own is a bit plain but the sticky sauce really makes it, it was sweet with a nice tart kick to it. We will be making this again, very soon no doubt!

5 comments:

  1. I've just picked the last two lemons from our lemon tree and was wondering what to make with them. This looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE lemons!! This looks so good! Thanks for posting the recipe! Quick question, did you sift your dry ingredients first?

    ReplyDelete
  3. michiclover - no, I am too lazy and I thought the reason sieving flour was to check that there were no bugs in the the flour etc, unlikely to happen these days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just printed this off and am going to make it today !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jo! Can't wait to try this recipe out... yum yum!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!
I love hearing from you and if you haven't joined us in Moms That Rock, come on over!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/momsthatrock/

Pin It button on image hover