Tuesday 30 November 2010

The Travelling Advent Calendar....

I think I may have mentioned that we are going to the UK for Christmas, well I was wondering what to do about an advent calendar, the last couple of years we have used the mini stockings up the stairs, the first year we filled them with the Muji wooden city pieces and last year Muji came to the rescue again and we used a bumper pack of pens and I added an activity to do too. The problem this year is not only are we travelling half was round the world, we will also be travelling around once we get there. We do have a wall hanging advent with little pockets but of course it is packed away with all the Christmas gifts and I am too lazy to dig the box out of the back of the pantry, so I put on my red bobble thinking hat and came up with this... the travelling advent calendar.

I picked up a couple of packs of polka dot envelopes from the ¥100 shop and a pack of dinosaur karuta cards, this set are quite good because they have the picture on one side and on the back info about the dinosaur and then the other pack is the poem so you can play a game with them too.
I punched a hole in the corner of each card so that they can be put onto a ring, in the first envelope there are a couple of cards and the ring so each day he gets a couple more dinosaurs to add to his collection. Once I had sealed all the envelopes I punched a hole in them too so I could string them onto a ring too. It will be easy to pop the whole lot in my bag and just take it along wherever we go and as we travelling around he will have some new cards to 'study' - I have just realised that I am going to be bored to death with dino facts! 
I know looking at the pack it looks like there are no numbers but you are mistaken, you have to look really hard because I wrote the number for each day in one of the polka dots, hee hee evil mama! That should keep him quiet for a while.



1 comment:

  1. I think you and I are the only 2 to have come up with travelling advent calendars - I just found your link - here's mine (it's sooo different to yours!!)

    http://partycraftsecrets.blogspot.com/2011/11/mini-travel-advent-calendar-part-1.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!
I love hearing from you and if you haven't joined us in Moms That Rock, come on over!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/momsthatrock/

Pin It button on image hover