Wednesday 25 November 2009

Cosy Slippers Tutorial


My slippers died, they were so warm and cosy and I couldn't find another pair like them, so I made some! They were super easy to do, although working with that fluffy stuff was a bit of a pain, I recommend polar fleece instead and I used felt for the outer of the slipper but you could use fleece there too.

For a pair of slippers, download the body here and the sole here.
The pattern is for a UK4/ Euro 37/ Jp 23 and includes seam allowances. I haven't figured out how to scale pattern sizes yet sorry! As they are slippers they should be OK for those a size bigger or smaller that a UK4. If anyone knows how to scale patterns properly, I would love to learn how!

You need to cut
felt outer main body: 2 pieces then flip the pattern over and cut 2 more
fleece inner main body: 2 pieces then flip the pattern over and cut 2 more
fleece inner sole: 2
Felt (2mm thick) sole: 2
You also need co-odinating thread, pins and fabric glue.

These are all the pieces you need for one slipper, so you should have 2 sets like this.
1. Place the top felt pieces right sides together and stitch along the straight edge. repeat with the fleece inner. When they are opened up they should look like this.
2. With right sides together, place the fleece inner on top of the felt outer and pin together. Sew along the inside arch from A to B.

3. Open up the slipper and lay it flat like the image below, now stitch the heel from A to B.
4. Now you need to attach the sole. Start with the inner sole, right sides together and align the sole toe with the body toe, pin the sole in place, moving towards the heel, when you reach the heel pin the other side of the sole, starting at the toe again. Stitch all the way round.
5. Repeat step 4 but using the felt sole and the outer body of the slipper. IMPORTANT, you need to leave a 2-3" gap so that you can turn the slipper the right side out.
6. Turn the slipper right side out, you might need to use a blunt end of a chopstick to push it all through. Sew up the hole with invisible ladder stitch, if you don't know how to do it, there is a great tutorial here.
Finally paint some fancy pattern on the bottom of your slippers with fabric glue to make them less slippy.

Wait until they are dry then go and strut around the house!
Or rustle a few pairs up for Christmas gifts. Make as many pairs as you like for friends and family but do not sell items made from this pattern or re-distribute the pattern before asking permission first.

If you do make some, let me know, I would love to see them!

If you loved this and want more fun tips & tricks, 
parenting help and generally cool stuff & freebies then…


23 comments:

  1. Wow they look great!! Lucky for you having small feet and living here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, these do look great, and I need some slippers so this is going on my to do list... although it will probably be after christmas when I finally get to them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fab!
    i think i will have a go at these once i get my new sewing machine!
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how wonderful! I've been looking for something like this! Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much! My uncle, an organic farmer, has requested a pair of slippers made from a vintage seed sack I have laying around -- can't wait to make them warm and cozy! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to make these today, but I noticed that both pattern pieces are for the sole. Can you post a link for the upper pattern piece? I can't wait to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carol, I have fixed the link so you should be able to print both now, hope they turn out well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for fixing the link! I can't wait to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey,
    chic slippers !
    I would love to make this slippers, but me too, have NO IDEA, how to convert your size in mine = 41 !
    ANYBODY ???
    Katrien

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very excited I found your site! Googled slipper patterns! I will send you the link to the ones I make as soon as they're done!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these! As for converting sizes, you could just trace your both of your feet and add some room for wearing. You also can buy dots to put on the bottoms at fabric stores, or use some glue gun dots on the bottoms.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brill tut. I'm thinking you could use shop bought shoe insoles for the base as an alternative and it would also help you size up to not to mention extra foot support.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brill tut. I'm thinking you could use shop bought shoe insoles for the base as an alternative and it would also help you size up to not to mention extra foot support.

    ReplyDelete
  14. To make slippers to fit each person, start by drawing around the person's foot on paper. Print out the sole pattern from these directions. Measure the difference in size. Make adjustments if necessary. Print out the remaining pattern pieces. Make the adjustments on the outer edges.

    I make a slipper out of scraps to make sure the pattern fits properly. It all fits well, have fun making lots of slippers! This is the easiest pattern I've seen in a long time. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope every loves their new slippers!

      Delete
    2. The slippers are so cool!!! But I can't understand number 3, so I can't understand the following numbers, too! Can you help me?

      Delete
  15. I am SERIOUSLY impressed with your work. I go thru a TON of slippers. (I have chihuahuas. Note my pix.) These are absolutely ADORABLE... And I can go thru my material and see what I have. I have TONS of stuff to play with. I am sure I can have a blast with this. I have $40,000 worth of equipment (Viking 936 serger, Brother PR-620, Brother ULT2003-D, plus all kinds of other toys... I am disabled, so I just sew.) This is awesome.
    Thanks so much!
    I hope some day to be able to have a site like yours. I really do. Thanks!
    Kas

    ReplyDelete
  16. They are so cool!!! But I can't understand number 3. So I can't understand the following numbers, too. Can you help me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just open the slipper like show in the picture the sew down the back, which will be the heel

      Delete
  17. They are so cool!!! But I can't understand number 3, so I can't understand the following numbers, too. Can you help me?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!
I love hearing from you and if you haven't joined us in Moms That Rock, come on over!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/momsthatrock/

Pin It button on image hover