Tuesday 11 November 2008

a morning of mathematics

Ebi-kun has been dying to get his hands on these gold beads so once I allowed him to get the tray down, that was it, he would have nothing to do with anything else - all day! I introduced the decimal system to him first and then yesterday we reviewed before getting the 1000 cubes out and adding them to what he knew. Here, he had picked 4 number cards out and was counting out the right number of beads for each card. Then I showed him how to lay the cards on top of each other so he could see how we right the number.

He grasped that idea and we spent quite some time making big numbers.
Then HE decided that he wanted to write the numbers down to show daddy, I drew some lines on a piece of paper so he could write each 4 digit number as he made it.

We spent about 2 hours doing all this oh yes, and a variation of the shopping game, where I would ask him to collect a certain number of beads 'Please fetch me 2 hundred squares, 4 ten bead bars and 7 units' etc. He can do 2 quantities without any problem but usually forgets half way through if I give him three :o). Finally it came time to clean up for lunch and he really wasn't interested so I taught him the 'sort it game' (I used to pull this trick ALL the time when I was teaching ESL). The game is to tip all the cards out and shuffle them so they are mixed up, then try and sort them into order as quickly as possible.... worked a treat!



After lunch he did one of his puzzles and had a nap then as soon as he got up he wanted to do some more bead work so I introduced the short bead stair.

I don't have the Sequin's teen boards so I will have to have a go at making them tomorrow, fingers crossed. I must say, I have been reading my manual like crazy, it is such a long time since I studied the maths folder and unlike the reading/writing program, I am not very confident with the maths, we will have to see how it goes....

Don't for get to leave a comment if you want to win the goodies ;o)

4 comments:

  1. Hi, what are all these materials you used? Where do you find them... thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie,
    I bought all the materials from IFIT (the link is in the sidebar). It took me a long time to decide whether to fork out for all the bead material but then figured I wouldn't have the time to make it all so I bit the bullet as it were. I did my Montessori course online with NAMC (also in side bar) and I really enjoyed the course, learnt so much but it did lack the practical experience which is so important when teaching. I am most certainly feeling my way with the maths section!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have a 4yo and get so much inspiration here! Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jo,
    When I made a big purchase with IFIT last, I did forgo the math materials except for one or two items. Reason: I was undecided and quite confused when going through the math materials on their site. Undecided because I didn't know if it was worth purchasing the first 5 linear counting materials, e.g. number rods, etc. when E already knows quite a bit about counting. But then again, I return back to thinking that perhaps I should get them to give him a smooth transition through the entire Montessori Math lessons. Secondly, there's always the budget limitation factor. Confused because I don't really know what bead materials to buy - there are the G and N series. What are those? When they say golden bead materials, I see a lot of combinations on the IFIT site. In short, I am uncertain as to what to purchase. What did you purchase if you don't mind me asking since you have training and have better knowledge about these items? I'd appreciate all the help I can get here.

    Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!
I love hearing from you and if you haven't joined us in Moms That Rock, come on over!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/momsthatrock/

Pin It button on image hover