Sunday 22 July 2007

metal insets

Recently BabyEbi hasn't bothered with these but then he got them out again the other day. He really likes this shape even though it is one of the harder ones to do. He calls is "cho-cho" which means butterfly in Japanese.
I was really chuffed to discover that 15cm origami paper fits just right in the holder which is great, not only does it save me time cutting the paper out, it is also cheap as chips and comes in lots of pretty colours.
Dr. Montessori analyzed the movements which are connected with writing and developed the Metal Insets for directly preparing the child for handwriting.
The Metal Insets exercises strengthen the three finger grip and coordinate the necessary wrist movements.
The exercises also advance proficiency in lightness of touch and evenness of pressure through drawing activities. The Metal Insets invite unlimited geometric design possibilities. BabyEbi isn't able to use the inner part yet but he uses the outer part quite well, especially easy shapes like the square and triangle.


3 comments:

  1. I've been following your blog for a little while now, and find I am drawn back to see how the house is coming along, and how BabyEbi is doing. I was a bit concerned with all that is happening in Japan in the past week, earthquakes, typhoons, but I don't know exactly where you are in Japan, and you haven't said anything about it, so I assume you are well away from it! I am a Montessori teacher in Canada who has been teaching 25 years now. I have also raised a little girl, who is 21 now! She was in Montessori through grade 3. My DH and I own our own Montessori school for children 3-6, and I would be happy to help you with anything you want to know for BabyEbi. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog through montessoribyhand. I am a 0-3 and 6-9 teacher from the States but living in KL right now. Where did you get the frame for the metal inset and paper? I don't think I have seen one like it before. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got the insets and base from IFIT
    http://www.montessoriequipment.com/MontessoriEquipment/Product/ProductInGroup.aspx?ProductCategoryID=1&ProductGroupID=4

    I also got the pink tower and cylinder blocks from there. The quality is great and much cheaper than many other places. The paper is actually origami paper - very cheap here and sold in big packs, lots of colours and it fits just right in the frame (which is great because it means I don't have to sit chopping up bits of paper to fit).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!
I love hearing from you and if you haven't joined us in Moms That Rock, come on over!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/momsthatrock/

Pin It button on image hover